Thursday, January 21, 2010

Google (pt. 1)


WHAT?
In class we are learning to broaden our means of communication and education through the tools Google has to offer. Our assignment for this week is for our individual groups to imagine we are already teachers and write a "Welcome Letter" for our chosen grade-levels.

SO WHAT?
At first I was uncertain when Doc Waters told us we were going to be using "Google Documents" to do an assignment. I was especially apprehensive when she told us that in order to do the assignment, we could communicate with our group members only through Google Docs. But after beginning the document (I was put in charge of the start-up), I was surprised by how quickly my team members responded and began to edit around and within what I had written. It was easy to see where they were going with their thoughts and we were able to meld our ideas smoothly into the letter we have now.


I can now see why Doc Waters introduced us to "Google Documents". It has given me a whole new tool to use when I have writing assignments in my other University courses, and if I have group-work, it is an easy program to use to share ideas or the pieces of the assignment that I am in charge of (and somewhat more efficient than IM or E-mail). Also, the fact that we can go back through our "revising history" and look to see how we got our paper to where it is now, is a huge help. It is definitely a program that I will continue using from now on.

NOW WHAT?

I am excited about what this means for when I become a teacher. Even children in the younger grade-levels write papers, and a program like this would not only give them a secure, easy place to save their work, but it would also allow for group-work and encourage cooperation among my students. I could give them small research assignments, put them into groups, show them how to use the program and then let them go. Google Documents would also allow me easier communication and collaboration with my colleagues. Instead of having to arrange meetings around our busy schedules and worrying if our weekly/monthly/yearly newsletters are coming together as they should, my colleagues and I could simply use Google Documents to compile them.

In the past I never thought about how computers and technology would help me in the classroom. Really, I was stuck back in my own childhood when everything was passed out on paper and computers were only used in that fun class where they taught us how to type on a keyboard and how to play computer games. It was shocking to realize that I can integrate computer technology into my own curriculum, and it would make things a whole lot easier for me, my colleagues, and my students. But now that I have, there is no way I'm letting this new epiphany go. I hope my students will be ready for a lot of computer work...and my co-workers don't get too annoyed with my constant editing of their classroom newsletters...

VIDEO REFLECTION.
I agree wholeheartedly with what Rene H. says in her video. Passion is a huge part of reaching your goals, no matter what they may be. In my case, it is the passion for teaching, the desire to help my future students, and especially the passion for positively influincing the minds of each and every student I will have. If you have that desire and drive, I honestly believe it will rub off on your students, your colleagues, and even your family; and it will help you overcome every obsticle you may face in getting to your goals. Only you can make your dreams come true, and ultimately, you are the only one standing in your way.


No comments:

Post a Comment