Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Picassa...or not...


What?
This week we were supposed to be learning about Picassa; unfortunately, our teacher was sick and we were asked to complete the part of the assignment that didn’t require the use of the Picassa program. So we had a lab-day and worked on our slide-show teaching presentation that we took the pictures for last week.


So What?
When we started our slide-show, my group quickly realized how unprofessional some of our pictures looked. In an attempt to clean them up, we started to look for programs that might help, on the school computers. Imagine my surprise when I found Picassa (the program we weren’t learning that day) on my computer.

After finding another program to be unsatisfactory, I decided to try Picassa out and told one of my fellow group members about it. She found the program on her computer, opened it as well, and we spent the next hour and a half editing our photographs and pasting them onto our power-point slides. We both came to realize how handy Picassa was, and why Doc Waters wanted us to learn about it in the first place.

Now What?
Before, I was never a big fan of editing photos. I like to think that what you get reflects the natural beauty of the object you photographed. Unfortunately through this assignment, I learned this is not always the case. Picassa is a wonderful tool, and very easy to use.


Should I choose to use digital cameras in my classroom, I have no doubt that I will also use Picassa as an editing tool; if not to clean up the image, then to crop it if need be. It is also helpful in a professional setting, if you need to clean up any photographs for public viewing (such as teacher portraits that hang in the hallways, or other similar pictures).

Video
I was giggling the entire time I watched this video, mainly because I couldn’t refute a thing he was saying. I have made several of those mistakes while creating power-point presentations, especially “common power point mistake number 1”. But the way he presented the mistakes, along with his over-the-top examples, were highly amusing and entertaining. I will think twice, next time, before attempting to fill my power-point slides with every bit of information I can fit on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment